If we talk about plugins that can’t be missing on a website. We have to speak, without any doubt, of Plugins Speed Up WordPress Performance.
When designing a website in WordPress, in addition to taking into account the visual and creative part, which of course is very important and is where I always insist (having a different and unique design is fundamental), we must also attend to the technical part.
When I talk about the technical part. I am referring to the optimization of the web so that it has very low loading times, something that Google and the user who visits it.
For this reason, in this article, I will review several of the plugins I use to optimize WordPress. Of course, there is much more, but do not overwhelm you I have reduced it to a few.
8 Best Plugins to Speed Up WordPress Performance.
- 1) WP Rocket
- 2) W3 Total Cache
- 3) SG Optimizer
- 4) Swift Performance Lite
- 5) LiteSpeed Cache
- 6) WP-Optimize
- 7) Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions
- 8) Smush
Speed Up WordPress Plugins
1) WP Rocket
WP Rocket is one of my favorite plugins to Speed Up WordPress Performance. In fact, it is the one I have installed on this website.
It is a paid plugin, but in which it is worth investing. Its goal is to improve the WordPress loading time, something fundamental for SEO.
What are the main features of WP Rocket?
- Page caching
- User-friendly interface
- Cache pre-load
- Advanced caching rules
- CDN integration
- Image lazy loading
- Database optimization
- Settings import and export
- Minimal tweaking required for speed improvements
- Settings import and export
- Google Analytics integration to load the code from your server
2) W3 Total Cache
W3 Total Cache is another popular Speed Up WordPress plugin. It is a complete framework. There’s a huge array of options & many caching methods that are supported.
There’s advanced support for Cloud-Flare and many CDN services. But, the reality is that because there are various options, it’s not the easiest to set-up. And if you don’t know what you’re doing, You can break something.
That’s why only advanced users should use W3 Total Cache Plugin. It is also worth noting that uninstalling this plugin can be tricky. It takes more than the typical deactivating & deleting to get rid of it.
What are the main features of W3 Total Cache?
- Database caching
- CDN Support
- Object caching
- Browser caching
- Minifying and More.
3) SG Optimizer
SG Optimizer is another of my favorite plugins to Speed Up WordPress Performance of a website.
Also, it is the one that I recommend if your page is hosted on BlueHost, because it is a plugin developed by your own team.
Therefore, if your hosting provider is BlueHost, the plugin that I recommend installing for everything related to the WPO is SG Optimizer, because they fit perfectly.
What are the most relevant features of SG Optimizer?
- Dynamic Caching.
- Manual emptying.
- Automatic removal of cache.
- Test the URLs to know the status of the cache.
- Automatic activation of the HTTPS protocol.
- Eliminate Query Springs from static resources.
- Optimization of images
4) Swift Performance Lite
Swift Performance Lite is a plugin to perform optimization tasks and cache that I discovered relatively recently and works great.
In fact, on some websites, I installed it as a substitute for WP Rocket.
Therefore, it has become a strong competitor of which for me it has always been the best optimization plugin.
The plugin is available in freemium version, that is, the free version includes a series of functionalities (very good) and the payment of other more advanced features.
Some of the strengths and tasks that Swift Performance Lite performs (as there are many, I highlight the ones that have struck me most):
- Quick configuration It’s really simple and configures it.
- Load under cache.
- Remove query strings
- Minify and combine the CSS and JS files.
- Cloudflare & CDN Support.
- Compatibility with WP Multisite.
- Woocommerce Friendly.
- Cache for registered users.
- Optimize the database.
5) LiteSpeed Cache
LiteSpeed Cache is another of the plugins that I recommend to manage the issues related to caching and WPO.
Some of its functionalities are:
- Object Cache
- Optimization of images.
- Load on demand of images and iframes.
- Compatible with multiple CDN.
- CSS / JS load asynchronously.
- Browser cache.
- Cleaner and database optimizer.
- PageSpeed score optimization.
- Connection with Cloudflare via API.
- Compatible multi-site webs.
- Import and export settings.
- Heartbeat control.
6) WP Optimize
With the passage of time, the WordPress database gets dirty with files that no longer appear on our website, plugins that we have deleted, revisions of articles and pages, etc.
Did you know that, every time you check a post or a page, WordPress saves a complete copy?
That is, if you check an entry three times, WordPress saves the same entry three times in full; If you check it twenty times, twenty copies are saved in the database, with the consequent use of space that these copies consume.
Therefore, it is necessary to periodically clean the database, which at the same time is getting fatter and consuming more space.
WP-Optimize is a very effective plugin to automatically clean your WordPress database in order to achieve maximum efficiency.
Some of its main features:
- Eliminate all unnecessary data: comments in the trash / unapproved / spam, in addition to obsolete data.
- Compact and defragment MySQL tables.
- You can control the optimizations that you want to carry out.
- Perform automatic weekly (or manual) cleanings.
- It allows you to choose which files you want to delete in each of your cleanings.
- Perform optimizations without the need to execute manual queries.
- Automatically saves a pre-optimization backup through UpdraftPlus
Shows statistics of databases and savings.
- It is compatible with mobile phones and very easy to use.
7) Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions
Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions is another plugin that allows you to optimize the database after removing the revisions.
The objective of this plugin is to eliminate all those copies that are saved automatically so as not to consume so much space in the database.
You can configure it to be cleaned by days or by the maximum number of recent revisions. For example, I have it configured to do clean-up for older revisions to five days.
The full name of this plugin is “Smush Image Compression and Optimization” and its function is to compress the images of your website.
Optimizing images is essential to improve the performance of WordPress and, therefore, improve SEO positioning.
The plugin is responsible for resizing, optimizing and compressing all the images that are uploaded to WordPress and those that are uploaded after installation.
In addition, it allows you to set a maximum width and height, and thus large images will be reduced as they are compressed.
My tips to optimize images in WordPress:
- Adapt the size of each image taking into account the dimensions of the space where it will be placed. That is, if you need an image with a width of 700px, do not upload it with a width of 1200px, for example.
- Once the size is adapted, it compresses the image before uploading it with a tool that performs this function. In my case, I use compressor.io
- Upload the image to the blog to be compressed again with the plugin.
I hope these tips and plugins will help you to Speed Up WordPress Performance and reduce its load times. Of course, if you know and use others, I expect your comments 🙂